American Gods

Hello there!  I seem to have fallen behind again.  On a good note, my baby is now four months old and growing like a weed!  I'm so very proud of her.



A couple of months ago my book club read American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  This was my pick.  I loved Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch and have been looking to read more Gaiman and Pratchett.  I had also just started watching the Starz TV series so I figured it'd be a good way to read the book before I continued with the series. 

I love the concept of this book.  When people immigrate to the United States they bring all sorts of things with them, why wouldn't they also bring their gods?  It's interesting to think about the different versions of each god living all around the world and how they would all be different due to the influence of the different areas they've been living in.  I also love the conflict between the old gods and the new gods.  As time goes on and the world we live in changes people are starting to leave the old gods behind and worship technology instead.  As I read I found myself rooting for the old gods and their nostalgia.  Within this book lies a poignant allegory of the world and our attachment to our electronics.  We've become so wrapped up in our computers, smartphones, televisions, and video games that we're leaving our old way of living behind.  I found myself missing simpler times while I read.

All of my book club members agreed that this is definitely a book worth reading.  I love Gaiman's writing style.  His characters are always well-developed and interesting.  The gods all use alias's but Gaiman gives enough background information on each that you'll be able to figure out who they are.  It was fun guessing.  There were a few in here that I wasn't familiar with and it was fun to look them up and learn a little along the way.  There was a nice mishmash of current culture combined with ancient belief.  All in all it was a very interesting read. 

If you haven't already, I also recommend reading Good Omens.  It is one of my favorite books and well worth the time.  It's the most hilarious book about the Apocalypse I've ever read.  They're currently filming a television series based off it starring David Tennant, among others, and I'm anxiously awaiting its release.  I'm always a bit nervous when they take a book I love so much and turn it into a show or a movie but this one has David Tennant in it, so that alone should make it worth while. 

I'm kind of a fan

Seriously though, read the books they're both wonderful. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Horror Stories!

Sadie

The Boy at the Door