So I decided to try out Book of the Month Club

In September I received a notification in my email from the Book of the Month Club that said I could get Stephen King and Owen King’s new Book Sleeping Beauties for free if I resigned up for the monthly subscription.  I had been planning to pick up this book anyway so I figured, why not?  Their usual box is $14.99 per month.  I got a “credit” for one book and had to pay the $9.99 they typically charge for an additional book for the second book.  So for $9.99 (shipping is free!) I got Sleeping Beauties and Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker.   
When you first sign up for the Book of the Month Club (https://www.bookofthemonth.com/enroll) they’ll ask you some questions about the types of books you like, and how many books you read per month so they can get a feel for what to recommend for you.  You’ll fill in all your billing information and it’ll give you a few books to pick from for your first box.  You can either pick just one book, or add additional books to your box.  They also offer the option of skipping that month and applying your $14.99 to the next box. 
First off, I have to say I love the price.  $14.99 for a book these days is a pretty good deal and, as I mentioned earlier, they charge $9.99 for any additional books you decide to add to your box.  Shipping fees are included in that $14.99, which I love because who doesn’t love free shipping?   
While I love free shipping, I am not a fan of the shipping partner they use.  The Book of the Month Club uses a company called One Stop Mailing to get their packages from their warehouse to the post office (this may vary state to state, this is just my experience).  I have been tracking my package, which was shipped on September 25th) and it went from Hanover, PA to York, PA where on September 26th it said that it had departed the shipping partner and was in route to USPS.  I live about an hour from York, PA.  At the time of this writing it is September 28th and USPS does not have my package.  I attempted to contact One Stop Mailing and their website says that all inquiries about packages must be sent to the company you purchased the package from.  I have emailed the Book of the Month Club to see if they can get more information for me but I really think that not being able to contact them myself, and letting my package just sit somewhere for two days, is a little ridiculous.  At any rate, this isn’t necessarily the Book of the Month Club’s fault, but I do think they should re-consider the carrier they’re currently using. 
I decided not to continue my membership with the Book of the Month Club.  While I think their rates are quite reasonable, and I do not hold them at fault for the issues I’m having with their shipper, I don’t think I really need a monthly subscription for books right now.  I have so many books at home in my to be read pile that this just doesn’t make sense for me.  I do think that if you’re looking to grow your collection, or get suggestions on some new reading material that you might not have heard about otherwise, this service might be a great fit for you.  Once I catch up on my to be read pile, I may revisit this subscription again in the future.  Hopefully they will have found a new shipping partner by then. 
 **I did end up getting my books on September 30th.  I don't know why it took so long, but I was glad that they finally arrived.
I purchased this Book of the Month Club box with my own money and have not been compensated in any way for this review.  The statements and opinions in this review are completely my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Horror Stories!

Sadie

The Boy at the Door