The Death Cure

I finished The Death Cure over the weekend.  Overall, I’m happy to be finished with this series.  I know it was a popular series, but I just couldn’t find much to recommend about it.  The Death Cure does have more action than the previous two books in the series, but I just can’t get past the fact that they probably could have achieved the desired outcome in a much shorter time frame, with less torturing of children, if they’d have just used imaging machines to scan the brain patterns of the immunes and compared them to patterns in the brains of the infected.  Since I couldn’t get on board with the premise, I couldn’t get on board with the series. 
                I also didn’t feel very connected to the main character.  Not only does he spend most of his time in the last two books either sleeping or passing out (it seemed like every chapter in The Scorch Trials ended with him passing out, I’m not even exaggerating), his personality is a little bland.  He’s made out to be a leader but he mostly just does what other characters tell him to do.  He makes very few decisions on his own.
                There are two prequels to this series but I’m not going to read them.  Typically, I like to read all the books in a series, even if I’m not totally enjoying it, just to see if it gets better or if they explain some of the things I’m having issues with.  However, with this series I doubt there’s anything in the prequels that could make me interested in reading them.
                Next week I’ll have a review ready for Ghostly, the collection of short horror stories I’ve been reading.  It’s proving to be far more enjoyable than the Maze Runner books.  The following week I’ll tell you about The Wars of the Roses:  The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors which has also been an interesting read.  So be sure to come back for those!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bring on the Horror Stories!

Sadie

The Boy at the Door